Don’t get me wrong, our wedding was beautiful.
But for us, marriage took some figuring out.
We had to learn HOW to make an in-it-for-the-long-haul-relationship work. Kinda like owning vs. leasing a car. Marriage is a whole different thing than dating. To figure it out, we had to learn about ourselves and each other.
Well, much like marriage, your career falls into this in-it-for-the-long-haul category.
It’s different than a “job.” And takes different skills + understanding than the one-hit-wonder gigs of your youth in order to keep the passion alive.
So today I’m tipping my hat to our 11 years of marriage by helping you work out some in-it-for-the-long-haul career kinks. Keep in mind, everything I’m sharing today can absolutely be applied to BOTH your career + personal life. At their core, each of these 11 dos are mindsets that lead to a passionate life.
11 relationship dos that’ll totally help you rock your job.
1. Compromise doesn’t feel like compromise when you know your why. Look, I love my husband. I value my marriage. The distinction is key. ‘Cause on days when I’d kinda like to stab him with a fork (and they do happen), I know WHY working it out is worth it TO ME. Same rules apply to your job. Odds are you won’t love every day. And, one bad day doesn’t have to ruin the bunch.
2. Compromise can always be reached. If it’s not happening someone is trying to win. If it’s you: stop it. If it’s them: help ’em win. The only way to create a win-win is to be on the same page.
3. Plans are sexy. How much do you get done that’s not on your to-do list? Exactly.
4. Waiting to talk is not the same as listening. Listening to your co-workers or customers is the quickest path to rock-stardom. They’ll feel valued, important and their walls will come down so you’ll be able to solve challenges together in no time flat.
5. You’re responsible for what you bring to the situation. Blame looks good on no one. Own what you bring to each situation. If it’s not your proudest moment, that’s OK. There’s no way to change it until you’re aware of it.
6. Don’t take things personally. We’re all a bit self-focused. Whatever they’re doing is 100% ’cause of them, NOT YOU.
7. We’re not the same. Don’t assume they’er thinking what you are. Don’t assume you’re thinking what they are. Communicate without assumption. It’ll be like a breath of fresh air!
8. It’s a good thing that we aren’t the same. Life, and projects, would be totally boring without some diversity. Our differences are opportunities to create amazing mash-ups + totally inspired projects.
9. Play to each others strengths. Everyone has a place they truly shine. Embrace that. Utilize that. Celebrate that. It’s how passion thrives.
10. Score-keeping is like shooting yourself in the foot. It makes you feel bad. And, makes everyone want to avoid you. If you just have to score keep, start tracking the wins instead. Your foot will thank you.
11. It’s always worth fighting for. ‘Cause YOU are worth fighting for. When it gets tough, roll up your sleeves, ask for help and be open to learning. There is 100% a way to get back on track- but you’ve got to be open to it.